In 1803 the army garrison within the town was moved to a bluff three miles north of town after local residents complained the soldiers spent most of their time in local saloons. The site, a bluff overlooking the Wabash River, was chosen because of its command of the river, a good boat landing and nearby spring. Fort Knox II was born.
But with the activities of the Shawnee brothers Tecumseh and The Prophet, the local situation became more dangerous. More soldiers were assigned to the area and the fort under the command of Capt. Zachary Taylor became, on Sept. 26, 1811, the jumping-off place for Territorial Governor William Henry Harrisons rendezvous with destiny, the Battle of Tippecanoe.
Fort Knox II became a hospital for the sick and wounded of that battle who were floated down river on boats from Fort Harrison in Terre Haute.
Today, the fort is outlined with short posts and interpretive markers tell the story of site. It is located three miles north of Vincennes. Picnic and restrooms facilities are available.
The Fort Knox II site, a part of the Vincennes State Historic Sites, is open from dawn to dusk daily. For more information about the site, call 812-882-7422.